"We've Swept The Seas Before Boys and So We Shall Again "
Hunselt RL Parkside – A brief history
Founded By Mr W.H.GILSTON who also captained Hunslet. Formed in 1883 as a founder member of the Northern Union Hunslets first ground was at Woodhouse Hill. In 1888 Hunslet moved to "Low Hold" now known as Parkside and played their first home on February 11th 1888 when they narrowly beat Mirfield.
Hunslet were the first R.F.L.C to win all four cups in 1907/08 captained by Albert Goldthorpe. In 1934 Hunslet went on to win the challenge cup at Wembley captained by Jack Walkington. In 1938 Hunslet beat local rivals Leeds in the championship final in front of a record crowd of 54,112 again captained by Jack Walkington.
In 1965 Hunslet went to wembley again, narrowly losing to Wigan in what is still regarded as the finest Rugby Final ever played.